Re: [Nolug] E-T sending messages

From: Brett D. Estrade <estrabd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:45:31 -0800 (PST)

Where does is most of the time spent when cracking keys -- generating the keys or actually
"trying" them? With today's massive storage devices, couldn't you just keep a couple of terabytes
busy holding all the 128-bit keys there are already generated, and when it comes time to use them
just pull them directly off the disk? I am not sure how much disk space it would take to hold all
the 128-bit keys, so this may not even be feasible....

Brett

--- Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 15:27, Joey Kelly wrote:
> > >Unless you have the energy of a star, wouldn't the RF energy get
> > >disipated (in a cubic manner) over the trillions of miles, if you
> > >broadcast it out?
> > >

> > Right.
> >
> > Anyone up to calculating how far a million-watt radio signal has to travel
> > before it gets lost in the noise floor? The closest star to our system is 4
> > light years away, and the closest one with any kind of planet at all is like
> > 10 light years distant. Could a 1e6-watt beam be detected out that far?
>
> And since we see where the star was 10 years ago, you'd have to aim
> the beam to where it will be, along the curve of the universe, 20 years
> from where you see it now.
>
> But then again, brute-force cracking the RC5 algorithm is pretty
> useless, too, since noone who *really* wants to crack the cypher
> will use brute force, but will use custome hardware, and smash it
> in a fraction of the time...
>
> Anyone know of gene analysis or protein folding, where the results
> will be put in the public domain?

> | Ron Johnson, Jr. mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net |
> | Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
> | |
> | "My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, |
> | you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher." |
> | Socrates |

=====
I know who stole those lunches...it was that damn sasquatch!!!! -- "Billy Madison" (1995)

#! ~/myInfo
set url http://www.brettsbsd.net
set eFax (253)484-8755
#A.M.D.G