Re: [Nolug] E-T sending messages

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 19 Dec 2002 09:29:06 -0600

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 22:45, Brett D. Estrade wrote:
> Where does is most of the time spent when cracking keys -- generating the keys or actually
> "trying" them? With today's massive storage devices, couldn't you just keep a couple of terabytes
> busy holding all the 128-bit keys there are already generated, and when it comes time to use them
> just pull them directly off the disk? I am not sure how much disk space it would take to hold all
> the 128-bit keys, so this may not even be feasible....

Well, actually, I think there are 72 bit keys. Also, I don't know
exactly how they store & the keys, but they *are* tested sequentialy,
so generating them is easy. And, since, if my calculations are correct,
there are 47.2 sextillion (4.72 * 10^21) keys, they'd have to be
generated in blocks at they Main Server there at distributed.net...

> --- Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > > >

> > > Right.
> > >
> > > Anyone up to calculating how far a million-watt radio signal has to travel
> > > before it gets lost in the noise floor? The closest star to our system is 4
> > > light years away, and the closest one with any kind of planet at all is like
> > > 10 light years distant. Could a 1e6-watt beam be detected out that far?
> >
> > And since we see where the star was 10 years ago, you'd have to aim
> > the beam to where it will be, along the curve of the universe, 20 years
> > from where you see it now.
> >
> > But then again, brute-force cracking the RC5 algorithm is pretty
> > useless, too, since noone who *really* wants to crack the cypher
> > will use brute force, but will use custome hardware, and smash it
> > in a fraction of the time...
> >
> > Anyone know of gene analysis or protein folding, where the results
> > will be put in the public domain?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, |
| you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher."    |
|    Socrates                                                   |