Re: [Nolug] alsa installation

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 00:00:23 -0600

On Sunday 02 February 2003 11:41 pm, Chris Bloch wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to get alsa to work and when I try to modprobe I get
> this error. Any ideas?
>
> modprobe snd-intel8x0

Usually, on most distros you should be able to load the alsa drivers using
/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start, assuming that's where the alsasound script went.

> Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.20/modules.dep

This tells you that you need to depmod -a after you make install the alsa drivers
and have edited the modules.conf file accordingly.

> /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: invalid parameter
> parm_snd_major
> /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o failed

Check your modules.conf file to make sure you have the right lines. Use
modinfo -p modulename to get a list of parameters. Maybe post your
modules.conf file.

Andy Johnson