Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:42:12 -0600

On Saturday 22 February 2003 01:44 pm, Joey Kelly wrote:
> Hey y'all,
>
> We tossed a few ideas around at this week's nolug meeting (like we always do,
> I guess) as to how we can make our club grow/improve/whatever:
>
> 1). I mentioned that the Baton Rouge Linux Users Group (http://brlug.org) is
> gearing up to offer linux classes to interested parties. I lurk on their
> list, and don't know the scope of what they are trying to do (will they
> charge for the classes, what target audience are the trying to reach, etc.?),
> but they do seem rather hyped about it. Could we do something similar here in
> New Orleans? Several people expressed reservations, mainly about the present
> strength of nolug being a large barrier to the success of this type of
> venture.

You have to admit, it would be hard to convince someone that Linux is the
way of the future, when there is only a handful of people to tell them so.

> 2). Several people made the statement that UNO is kind of far or
> out-of-the-way, and if the meetings were closer to Metairie, they'd feel more
> like coming. Also the idea of holding a second meeting during the week was
> suggested, and everyone seemed to be in favor of that. Delgado was suggested
> as an acceptable place to hold an alternate meeting (is this a good idea,
> will they go for it? would UNO feel slighted if we held meetings at another
> campus? Scott, what's your opinion of this? etc.?) and I offered to make
> suitable inquiries.

UNO is a 45-minute drive for me, so I don't make it often. Of course, making
it closer to me will probably make it farther for others. How about a short
list of rotating locations? Is there much chance of gathering people from
farther reaches if there is an occaisional meeting near them?

Andy Johnson