Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Chris Bloch <zaphod_at_sstar.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:26:38 -0600

Brett D. Estrade wrote:

> T.E.Stirewalt wrote:
>
>> Making a group grow ....
>>
>> I believe the secret is in PUBLICITY ! Preferably cheap (free) but
>> effective.
>>

> I agree, but there needs to be targeted audiences first - small business
> IT managers, CS majors, etc. Advertising to the general populace and
> campus community is futile at best.

I think that this discussion is getting constructive. I think a charter
is a good idea. What kind of population are we trying to serve?
Desktop users like me that want to get into system administration? IT
managers? video game jockeys? educators? What kind of qualifications
do we have inside the group of people on this list, and who would be
willing to do what? I know that everyone is willing to help problem
solve as evidenced by this list.

I think that we need to go at this in a couple of ways.

First, if we clearly state our qualifications (who can do what, and more
importantly, who has spare time to do these things.) We will then know
more about the resources we have on hand and if we even want to take
this beyond what it is.

Second, I think we should look into perhaps having several meetings a
month, perhaps a once a week meet at a coffee shop or bar to meet and
greet and banter, and a more structured informational type meeting with
a program and any administrative duties maybe once or twice a month.

This could serve the community better in two ways. It would allow people
to get together and find out more about what we do professionally and as
  private people, helping our community grow. Second, this would
separate the informational portion of our group from the social
aspects. They are both important, but might be better served in two
different settings or even as two different portions of the same meeting.

Third, perhaps we could have more updated materials online. I read that
Scott Harney is working on this, so thanks in advance Scott.

Fourth, Joey has done a really good job from what I can tell of getting
everybody together and running the mailing list. Thanks Joey.

Fifth, do we have a contact list? I know that we could get in touch
through the list, but does anyone have lists of phone numbers or
websites? Is there a designated contact person for newbies to get
information about meetings?

I realize that I am new to the group as well, but I think we really have
something here that could take off and do wonders for linux advocacy,
networking for jobs, increasing the awareness of linux, and increasing
our own technical understanding of what is happening behind the scenes.

I guess I should answer #1

        Name: Chris Bloch
        Phone: 504-669-1417
        Website: www.livejournal.com/users/blochsound/
        Skills: installing linux, reinstalling linux, computer tech, (fixing
windows boxen)
        communication skills, limited web site design, audio / video
production, music production, flyering.
        Related technical groups: 2600
        Free time: willing to help out with organization, willing participant
in any learning activities, any marketing/ publicity, any installfests,
propaganda, etc, in short, just about anything, even things I am
unqualified for.

please feel free to email me privately as well.

Respectfully,

--
Chris Bloch
(504) 669-1417