Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Brett D. Estrade <estrabd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:03:41 +0000

T.E.Stirewalt wrote:

> Making a group grow ....
>
> I believe the secret is in PUBLICITY ! Preferably cheap (free) but
>effective.

I agree, but there needs to be targeted audiences first - small business
IT managers, CS majors, etc. Advertising to the general populace and
campus community is futile at best.

> The meeting last Thursday was my first.
> It is clearly a collegial group.
> I learned a lot of stuff in the banter, BUT since I know hardly anything,
>everything is news to me.
> WHAT did the other members get out of the meeting? Some certainly
>contributed.

I've only been to one meeting, but my experience was that there was a
lot of banter; and to be honest, I like meetings that are more to the
point and follow an agenda. I know I am not the busiest person on the
list, but I just can't sit in a meeting for 2 hrs that is not pointed
and directed.

> How about affiliations with some other computer user groups? Somehow I
>got the impression that most of the Linux boxes 'in' the group were either
>Intel or AMD, not something 'else'. Is this true?
> I know there is the NOPCC that meets 630pm First Wed of each month at
>J.D.Meisler School (on Cleary, between Vets & W. Esplanade, in Metairie).
>There is NO ONE there that speaks Linux. I know, I'm a member, could not
>find one, went looking for someone, and found your list. I also know they
>are having declining membership problems too (as are most clubs - I think
>the internet is partly to blame). There could be some symbiosis perhaps.

My dad was in NOPCC; aren't they mostly windows centric?

> There is also a Chalmette computer club.

Good one ;)

> I hope these comments are not too presumptuous from one sooooo neeeew
>to this group.
> I would like to see it succeed.
> I'm not the only one out there stumbling toward Linux (especially on the
>desktop).

Hey, don't forget FreeBSD :)

In closing, I would like to say that I am interested in helping out.
I'd like to see the group succeed, but my style/personality lends itself
to more organized and focused efforts. This is where my comments are
coming from, and I certainly mean no offense to anyone.