Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:55:56 -0600

"Brett D. Estrade" <estrabd@yahoo.com> writes:

> I've only been to one meeting, but my experience was that there was a
> lot of banter; and to be honest, I like meetings that are more to the
> point and follow an agenda. I know I am not the busiest person on the
> list, but I just can't sit in a meeting for 2 hrs that is not pointed
> and directed.

Fine. Then you set up a meeting the way you'd like to see it done
and direct it. There's nothing stopping you from doing that and you
SHOULD. NOLUG needs less banter on the list about what needs to
be done and more people to just do it. Run a meeting.
set up a demo. DO something.

We don't have the active group we started with 3 years ago. We need
people to take the mantle. I, frankly, cannot do it. I just
don't have the kind of time that I did then. That's one of the
reasons why I gave up managing the mailing list.

> My dad was in NOPCC; aren't they mostly windows centric?

This is a bad idea. I've checked them out. There wouldn't be any
synergy there. We talked about this actually when we set up NOLUG.
It didn't prove to be fruitful. I strongly encourage us to stay
on our own.

> In closing, I would like to say that I am interested in helping out.
> I'd like to see the group succeed, but my style/personality lends
> itself to more organized and focused efforts. This is where my
> comments are coming from, and I certainly mean no offense to anyone.

Those are good points. YOu can lead in that direction by leading a meeting.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."