Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Brett D. Estrade <estrabd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:03:13 -0800 (PST)

I hope I did't offend you. I wasn't trying to. As far as running a meeting, I am not sure I know
enough. Besides it would have to be centered around FreeBSD. If this is of interest to some
people, I would be more than happy. I just need to know what topics to cover - installation,
basic intial configs, etc.

Brett

--- Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com> wrote:
> "Brett D. Estrade" <estrabd@yahoo.com> writes:
>

> > I've only been to one meeting, but my experience was that there was a
> > lot of banter; and to be honest, I like meetings that are more to the
> > point and follow an agenda. I know I am not the busiest person on the
> > list, but I just can't sit in a meeting for 2 hrs that is not pointed
> > and directed.
>
> Fine. Then you set up a meeting the way you'd like to see it done
> and direct it. There's nothing stopping you from doing that and you
> SHOULD. NOLUG needs less banter on the list about what needs to
> be done and more people to just do it. Run a meeting.
> set up a demo. DO something.
>
> We don't have the active group we started with 3 years ago. We need
> people to take the mantle. I, frankly, cannot do it. I just
> don't have the kind of time that I did then. That's one of the
> reasons why I gave up managing the mailing list.
>

> > My dad was in NOPCC; aren't they mostly windows centric?
>
> This is a bad idea. I've checked them out. There wouldn't be any
> synergy there. We talked about this actually when we set up NOLUG.
> It didn't prove to be fruitful. I strongly encourage us to stay
> on our own.
>

> > In closing, I would like to say that I am interested in helping out.
> > I'd like to see the group succeed, but my style/personality lends
> > itself to more organized and focused efforts. This is where my
> > comments are coming from, and I certainly mean no offense to anyone.
>
> Those are good points. YOu can lead in that direction by leading a meeting.
>
> --
> Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
> "...and one script to rule them all."

=====