Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:28:28 +0000

We get enough flack from the BSD-only crowd (you know who you are) that a
presentation on BSD sounds like a great topic idea. Show the differences
between BSD and linux, rant about how it's more secure, then show us that all
of our linux apps will run on it.

In other words, I second the nomination :-)

Oh, and the BSD-only crowd had better show up at that meeting ;-)

--Joey

Thou spake:
>I hope I did't offend you. I wasn't trying to. As far as running a
> meeting, I am not sure I know enough. Besides it would have to be centered
> around FreeBSD. If this is of interest to some people, I would be more
> than happy. I just need to know what topics to cover - installation, basic
> intial configs, etc.
>
>Brett
>
>--- Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com> wrote:
>> "Brett D. Estrade" <estrabd@yahoo.com> writes:
>> > I've only been to one meeting, but my experience was that there was a
>> > lot of banter; and to be honest, I like meetings that are more to the
>> > point and follow an agenda. I know I am not the busiest person on the
>> > list, but I just can't sit in a meeting for 2 hrs that is not pointed
>> > and directed.
>>
>> Fine. Then you set up a meeting the way you'd like to see it done
>> and direct it. There's nothing stopping you from doing that and you
>> SHOULD. NOLUG needs less banter on the list about what needs to
>> be done and more people to just do it. Run a meeting.
>> set up a demo. DO something.
>>
>> We don't have the active group we started with 3 years ago. We need
>> people to take the mantle. I, frankly, cannot do it. I just
>> don't have the kind of time that I did then. That's one of the
>> reasons why I gave up managing the mailing list.
>>
>> > My dad was in NOPCC; aren't they mostly windows centric?
>>
>> This is a bad idea. I've checked them out. There wouldn't be any
>> synergy there. We talked about this actually when we set up NOLUG.
>> It didn't prove to be fruitful. I strongly encourage us to stay
>> on our own.
>>
>> > In closing, I would like to say that I am interested in helping out.
>> > I'd like to see the group succeed, but my style/personality lends
>> > itself to more organized and focused efforts. This is where my
>> > comments are coming from, and I certainly mean no offense to anyone.
>>
>> Those are good points. YOu can lead in that direction by leading a
>> meeting.
>>
>> --
>> Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
>> "...and one script to rule them all."
>
>=====
>I know who stole those lunches...it was that d@mn sasquatch!!!! -- "Billy
> Madison" (1995)
>
>#! ~/myInfo
>set url http://www.brettsbsd.net
>set eFax (253)484-8755
>#A.M.D.G
>exit 0

I'd rather crash a Ford than wreck a Chevy