Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:35:51 -0600

At 11:23 PM 2/23/2003 +0000, you wrote:
> >Does the group have a mission statement or some other charter-like
> >document, or is its direction dictated by which direction the linux
> >winds happen to be blowing? If not, I think it would help provide some
> >focus on exactly what the group is intended to accomplish regularly.
>
>BRLUG is more organized than we are, and if overkill is more your style, the
>guys in Gulfport/Mobile is definitely that.

The Baton Rouge Linux User Group (http://www.brlug.net) is organized using
the Benevolent Dictator model, but in general we do things using voting.
Until we get pretty big I don't see a real advantage to creating a
President, VP, and Secretary positions. What I would like to see in Baton
Rouge is a type of steering committee that helps plan agendas and focus the
group.

>Do we have a charter? Not that I'm aware of. Scott and Hunter set up nolug to
>be a casual affair. While a little organization certainly couldn't hurt,
>frankly I'd rather not see officers, committees, elections, and all that.

Just create a nice little mission statement. It helps focus your ideas and
let's people know what you are trying to do. Here is ours:

The Baton Rouge Linux User Group's (BRLUG) mission is to advocate the use
of Linux both in the home and the enterprise, to support the existing base
of Linux users in the city of Baton Rouge, and to have a great time. In
addition, we encourage our members to use the LUG as a platform for forming
both non-profit and for-profit organizations to better establish Linux
within the community. As such, we welcome both business and hobbyists
discussions at our meetings and on our mailing list.

>I've been thinking about this for a little bit before sending this post. I'm
>not fond of the "Roberts Rules of Order" crowd, and will fight that kind of
>organization at nolug tooth and nail. What I would like to see, and would be
>more in keeping with nolug's historically laid-back, casual atmosphere, is
>the formation of ad-hoc working groups, composed of those who are
>willing/interested/experienced (pick any of these) to get together to work on
>whatever projects we can come up with. This could help us get stuff
>accomplished, while keeping things informal. I'd rather see someone helping
>out on a project out of an interest in learning more about the technologies
>needed for a particular project than to have someone on a project because
>they were appointed to it by some committee.

Good idea.

> >How big is BRLUG? Also, how are they structured?

Not too large. We have around 140 people on our lists, and our
Clickers/newbie meetings probably have around twenty to twenty-five
attendees each month. In addition, we meet at Perks once a month, but that
usually has a low turn-out.

>Perhaps we could work something out. BRLUG has a newbies meeting every week,
>with the more epxerienced crowd getting together maybe only once per month.

The newbies meeting is only once a month.

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology
Windows, UNIX, and IT Consulting