Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: T.E.Stirewalt <TomS_at_ComputerBrain.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:48:22 -0600

  Making a group grow ....

  I believe the secret is in PUBLICITY ! Preferably cheap (free) but
effective.

  When was the last time a member asked someone else to either join the
list?
OR
  Attend a meeting?

  WHO are you trying to attract?
        newbies like me?
        people who actually know what they are talking about?

  What do you have to offer to members.
        So far I have seen excellent, quick, help for questions via the
email list.
        A once a month meeting with a sort-of program (no Joey, I'm not
trying to insult you.)

  The meeting last Thursday was my first.
   It is clearly a collegial group.
   I learned a lot of stuff in the banter, BUT since I know hardly anything,
everything is news to me.
   WHAT did the other members get out of the meeting? Some certainly
contributed.

   How about affiliations with some other computer user groups? Somehow I
got the impression that most of the Linux boxes 'in' the group were either
Intel or AMD, not something 'else'. Is this true?
   I know there is the NOPCC that meets 630pm First Wed of each month at
J.D.Meisler School (on Cleary, between Vets & W. Esplanade, in Metairie).
There is NO ONE there that speaks Linux. I know, I'm a member, could not
find one, went looking for someone, and found your list. I also know they
are having declining membership problems too (as are most clubs - I think
the internet is partly to blame). There could be some symbiosis perhaps.
   There is also a Chalmette computer club.

  I hope these comments are not too presumptuous from one sooooo neeeew
to this group.
  I would like to see it succeed.
  I'm not the only one out there stumbling toward Linux (especially on the
desktop).

Tom 22 FEB 03
Thomas E. Stirewalt Jr.
voice= 504-581-1974 [ans.mach]