Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 22 Feb 2003 22:52:08 -0600

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 13:44, Joey Kelly wrote:
> Hey y'all,
>
> We tossed a few ideas around at this week's nolug meeting (like we always do,
> I guess) as to how we can make our club grow/improve/whatever:
>
> 1). I mentioned that the Baton Rouge Linux Users Group (http://brlug.org) is
> gearing up to offer linux classes to interested parties. I lurk on their
> list, and don't know the scope of what they are trying to do (will they
> charge for the classes, what target audience are the trying to reach, etc.?),
> but they do seem rather hyped about it. Could we do something similar here in
> New Orleans? Several people expressed reservations, mainly about the present
> strength of nolug being a large barrier to the success of this type of
> venture.

That well may be a good idea after the group becomes a little
"stronger", say with regular attendance in the 18-24 range, instead of
the 6-12 range.

> 2). Several people made the statement that UNO is kind of far or
> out-of-the-way, and if the meetings were closer to Metairie, they'd feel more
> like coming. Also the idea of holding a second meeting during the week was
> suggested, and everyone seemed to be in favor of that. Delgado was suggested
> as an acceptable place to hold an alternate meeting (is this a good idea,
> will they go for it? would UNO feel slighted if we held meetings at another
> campus? Scott, what's your opinion of this? etc.?) and I offered to make
> suitable inquiries.

Would splitting locations fragment attendance? I think so.

What, if any, are our *active* ties to UNO? I.e., how many regular
attendees attend UNO anymore?

No regular attendees, that I know of, attend Delgado, so it's only
benefit would be centraized location.

Would semi-monthly meetings in a central location also encourage
fragmentation, or easier access, and thus facilitate attending
both semi-monthly meeting?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| The difference between Rock&Roll and Country Music?       |
| Old Rockers still on tour are pathetic, but old Country   |
| signers are still great.                                  |