Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Tim Kelley <tpk_at_23rdward.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:25:18 -0600

On Saturday 22 February 2003 10:52 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Would splitting locations fragment attendance? I think so.

I agree.

> What, if any, are our *active* ties to UNO? I.e., how many regular
> attendees attend UNO anymore?

> No regular attendees, that I know of, attend Delgado, so it's only
> benefit would be centraized location.

This is probably a good idea if anyone can pull it off. Delgado is a
much better location for almost everyone I think. I personally don't
go to the meetings because they're just too far away; I only live
uptown but a 20-30 minute drive afer work isn't something I look
forward too. Another idea is carpooling. Who lives uptown?

Also, it would be nice if we could have something in addition to the
"classes" ... I would like to go just to socialize, really. I think
the classes shouldn't be the focus of the meeting, but a feature. I
don't need to sit through two hours of something I already know, but I
would love to come and have an open discussion or whatever. We should
also network with each other for jobs ... after all this is the way New
Orleans works.

Meetings should have an detailed agenda posted to the list; not just
"today's topic is samba". then people would know whether it would be
worth their while to show up. also when you tech classes, it would be
good to note what level you're trying to teach (beginner, expert,
etc.). Minutes would be a good idea as well, and could be posted to
the web site.

What about free (or "at cost") education? I would be willing to do
this, and it wouldn't necessarily have to be about linux, but more
general things like tcp/ip or network security, which precious few
"consultants" here in NO seem to have any grasp of. Who knows, they
might show up for a class given by NOLUG, and wind up being a linux
user in the end.

The level of knowledge of your typical "computer person" here is just
abysmal. Can we do something about it?

--
Tim Kelley
tpk at 23rdward dot org