Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Brett D. Estrade <estrabd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 00:40:55 +0000

Even if there are no officers, organization is key. If not, things will
not get better for the simple reason that there is nobody directly
accountable for accomplishing a set of goals and tasks. Roles evolve
naturally out of organization, and it just makes sense to provide a
formalized system for the group to decide who will serve in what role.
Although Robert's Rules refers to the system that is used to run
meetings, I think I still get what you are saying. I've been involved
with organizations with formal leadership roles that also use RR to run
their meetings, and I have seen it work very well; so it is not all that
bad. I am not suggesting that be done with NOLUG, but its still a
viable way to run an organization.

I understand this is a casual deal and I know *nix has the grand
tradition of non conformity, but I find it very hard to believe that
the vision most people have for this group will be realized with out
some level of group leadership and the mechanism to hold someone
accountable for seeing a certain thing through.

Maybe an idea would be to have the group come to some consensus about
some efforts they think will help grow the group. Once these are
identified, people can either volunteer or be selected (elected?) by the
group to head up that a particular aspect of what we are trying to do.
No need to have it formalized to the point where there is a president,
etc; but I am willing to bet that eventually the need will arise for
roles that look suspiciously like the what a president, treasurer, etc
might do. Just don't write the concepts off because you have
stereotyped ideas about such systems being inflexible or ineffective.
The beauty of most systems like that is that they can be as flexible and
adaptive as you need, and it is obviously up to the group how something
like this would be implemented.

The main point is that there needs to some kind of charter and some
basic leadership, IMHO, if the group is to grow into what most envision
it could be....

Quick question: Can someone provide a quick snapshot of BRLUG and Gulf
Port, ie how they run things, membership size, current intiatives and
the level of success vs how the group is organized? Maybe another idea
is to study other successful LUG's, see why they are successful, and
borrow ideas from them that suit our needs/style.

Brett