[Nolug] New website Beta testing announcement

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:37:45 -0600

I'm about ready to retire the old static html nolug.org with a new site
at http://www.nolug.org/postnuke/html . As you can probably guess by
the URL, it's based on postnuke which is a php4+Mysql based content
management system. This new site is drastic overhaul of the old site. It's
much more dynamic and easier to manage. It will be a good presence for the
lug and make us look more alive.

and yes it has stories and comments but I don't expect it will replace the mailing
list. Rather, it will be a complement to our activities here. I will
sometimes post tips and the like from the list as stories on the website.
We can use the polling feature to make administrative decsions. So please
sign on to the site and test it out.

Some features are:
1)News stories. comments by registered users
2)A calendar. users can submit events for global display.
3)Meeting info is linked to 6 times on the front page alone
4)A headlines scraping service
5)FaQ. I've started putting content here. users can submit questions
6)Download area.
7)Freshmeat and Slashdot headlines on the front page. local weather
8)I've gone with a single theme for now but it is themeable
9)Poll/voting booth
10)links. users can submit more
11)A home for incorporating meeting presentation materials and other
static content,howto's etc.
12)Reviews section.

I plan to make the switch soon so please check it out and comment!

Things needed immediately include:
1)more FAQ Q and A
2) Icons for the topic areas. NOLUG, FreeBSD, Software We Like
3) Link submissions
Content. original stories. things to make it lively.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."