[Nolug] meeting notes (March 2003)

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:45:58 +0000

Our scheduled speaker couldn't make it tonight, as he works for a Navy
subcontracting firm and there happens to be a war on. He is pulling 12-hour
days, or somesuch.

Alternate Plan B was an impromptu presentation I titled "Linux Networking
101", the notes of which I will post to the website later on.

Prior to that, we took time to introduce everyone, then we took suggestions
for future meeting topics. The list of potential topics is as follows:

IPsec
open-source applications (Open Office, etc.)
Gentoo Linux
runlevels
support: where to find help for Linux

I'm doing this from memory, so if I forgot something that we decided was a
valid topic (CUPS was mentioned, but rejected as too simple), please speak
up. Come to think of it, one of the simpler topics would work for a
mini-presentation before the main topic is discussed --- sorry I forgot to
mention that at the meeting tonight.

Devin Naquin (did I get the name right?) volunteered to present Gentoo at
some future meeting. Also someone volunteered to do a talk on runlevels, but
the person's name escapes me.

Lastly, I reminded everyone about our earlier discussion of how to make nolug
grow, bringing up the idea of meeting at a coffeehouse or other informal
restaurant in Metairie on alternate Thursdays, since the twice-yearly
restaurant meetings we've been holding seem to be popular. This might be a
better idea than say holding a regular meeting at an outlying town (e.g.
Chalmette). This is my opinion, but what does the group think?

I'd rather crash a Ford than wreck a Chevy