Re: [Nolug] Dual boot without reinstalling?

From: Brett D. Estrade <estrabd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:09:42 -0800 (PST)

You need to install a boot loader. Commercially, there is a piece of software by the PowerQuest
(of Partition Magic fame); from what I remember, for linux there is LILO among other things, and
FreeBSD comes with it own native boot manager. Either way, Windows always takes over first boot.
That is why when you want to dual boot windows and Linux, FreeBSD, etc you need to install Windows
first.

If you take the hd that contains W2K, you will most likely need to install Linux on it being sure
not to over write the fat/ntfs partitions it is on. Once you get Linux on there, you can use
mount_msdos or mount_ntfs (or mount -t <fs type>) to get to the Windows partition.

Brett

--- jdtiede@bellsouth.net wrote:
> My Windows box went down again, possibly the result of connecting and disconnecting USB
> devices. I think there's a loose connection on the MB.
> Since I haven't been able to move QuickBooks to Linux machine under Wine because of a bad
> superblock, whatever that is, on hda2, I had to move the hard disc from one machine to the
> other. If they are both connected, W2K, of course, always wants to boot. Dimly in my memory is
> some way of tricking the MBR into not taking over. Can someone tell me what this is?

=====
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
--Max McGee
#! /usr/bin/myInfo
set url http://www.brettsbsd.net
set eFax (253)484-8755