Re: [Nolug] Bash/ed problem

From: mikey_at_otisinc1.net
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:16:13 -0400 (EDT)

> Yes, I suppose I could use another editor, but will I find it on the
> server?

In most cases, yes. Just type either "whereis emacs" or "which emacs" to
see if it exists in the usual places. If not, it's easily available for
any system (emacs is even available for Windoze).

Check over here.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html

> Another issue: Often I get these weird RTF characters, like a pipe but
> it isn't really a pipe. How do I identify these characters so I can
> remove them?

I'd use 'sed' or 'perl'. I don't know what characters you're trying to
get rid of, so I'll give a generic example. Let's say that you want to
get rid of all instances of a pipe(|) in your text, just type this...

$>sed 's/\|//g' filename.txt > newfilename.txt
         ^

        Note: Make sure that *anything* which can be interpreted through
the shell, like greater-than(>), pipe(|), tilde(~), and such is
"escaped" with a back-slash(\) before it.

I don't know exactly what you're dealing with, so this is the best I can
do unless you'd like to post the file in question or the particular
characters you're trying to get rid of.

HTH

--
Since-beer-leekz,