Re: [Nolug] VNC Client on linux to connet to symantec VPN

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:49:28 -0500

On Monday 09 June 2003 11:41 am, Jeff Lee wrote:
> I have a Symantic VPN setup on multiple machines and networks for clients
> and at the office, I use Redhat 9.0 and Windows XP dual boot on my laptop.
> I want to do away with XP but in order to do that I would need to get a vnc
> client to work with the symantic vpn. I mainly need it to connect to our
> AS/400's. I have looked on many different Linux VNC sites but none of them
> seem to work. Any input would be nice

Color me confused. Why would you need "a vnc client to work with the
symantic vpn"? If the VPN is working, the groundwork is laid for VNC to
work. There should be nothing to prevent VNC or any other upper layer
network protocol from working over your VPN. I use VNC through various VPN
methodologies constantly.

In other words, if you can ping the IPs of the boxes _inside_ the VPN, you can
VNC to them. If you can't ping them, you need to work on getting your linux
box to talk to your VPN. If you can ping your AS400 boxes and still not
connect with VNC, you have some other VNC-specific problem.

What I think you mean is that you need a VPN client that runs under Linux to
connect to your Symantec VPN "server". [1] It is possible from what I have
read to connect a FreeSWAN running linux box to a symantec box though I
haven't done that particular combination myself. This is very dependent on
just how the Symantec side of the connection is set up.

[1] technically, IPSEC is peer-to-peer.

--
Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."