Re: [Nolug] WinXP network printer and Redhat9

From: the Professor <nyghtgolem_at_bigplanet.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:54:43 -0500

I just reread this message.. the definition for the printer needs this:

queue type = Networked Windows (SMB)
workgroup = the workgroup name that the windows computers are using for
their local area connection
server = ip addy of the computer with the printer
share = \\<computer netbios name>\<printer share name>

because windows xp is quite a bit more secure than windows 98, if you have a
username and password, you can set these here, or if there is no need for
worry (ie: no dedicated internet connection) then you can share it out
without that level of security and leave these options blank.

Hit apply to restart lpd.
at the command prompt you need to type: /etc/init.d/smb restart
to restart smbd and nmbd

after that, you should be able to print from the linux machine to the winxp
machine. This also has the additional benefit of being able to map any
other computers to the printer shared by samba from the linux machine.
Anyone familiar with networking shares in a windows network will remember
the error that happens if you boot in the wrong order and people loose
connections to printers all the time. With linux, it never looses it's
'mapping' and this error will all but disappear.

Hope this helps
~