Re: [Nolug] The Inevitable Thread

From: mikey_at_otisinc1.net
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:07:00 -0400 (EDT)

> One thing I’ve noticed is the lack of mention of this SCO law suit. I
> don’t know how contentious the subject is but if it can be friendly, I
> have a few questions that are more speculative. For example, there’s a
> lot of rhetoric online about who’s right and who’s wrong, the Microsoft®
> connection, etc. But I haven’t really seen anything definitive on the
> impact on Linux if SCO wins. And maybe I’m being simple-minded about it,
> but if SCO could identify the copied code then shouldn’t the distros be
> able to do the same thing and then rewrite it. Wouldn’t that make the
> suite moot? Or would it? And if this isn’t an option, then what are some
> of the alternatives? Are any of the distros immune? What about the
> kernel itself? I’m sure the philosophy from which Linux was born will
> survive, but I find myself full of FUD and I’m just one novice user so I
> can only imagine what IT shops using or considering an open source
> solution must be going through.

#include <MHO.h>

I've said it before, I'll say it again: SCO is the *most* retarded unice
out there. All this law-suit business is going on because SCO's going
downhill because it's crap and SCO knows it. So, if they can't inovate,
they'll litigate.

Will this kill Linux? Of course not. If they get around to pointing out
the offensive code in the Linux kernel, it'll be updated Real Quick.
Nonetheless, this will cause some damage because of this letter[0] sent to
the PHBs of 1,500 global corporations. If it turns out that SCO is full
of horsepoop, then I hope that IBM, RedHat, SuSE, GNU, and anyone else
involed with Linux counter-sues the snot out of SCO so UnixWare can die a
much needed and deserved death.

Microsoft? Of course they're going to jump on anything that might harm
Linux, so that's not surprising.

> Maybe I just need a hug…..I dunno.

Okay, here ya go. :)

[[[[jacklinux@cox.net]]]]

[0] http://www.advogato.org/article/659.html Notice that SCO has taken it
off of their website.

Since-beer-leekz,
Mikey
"What can Microsoft do? They certainly can't program around us. And the
only other thing they can do is marketing, and sure -- let them try."
-Linus Torvalds