[Nolug] The Inevitable Thread

From: jacklinux_at_cox.net
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:27:04 -0400

One thing I’ve noticed is the lack of mention of this SCO law suit. I don’t know how contentious the subject is but if it can be friendly, I have a few questions that are more speculative. For example, there’s a lot of rhetoric online about who’s right and who’s wrong, the Microsoft® connection, etc. But I haven’t really seen anything definitive on the impact on Linux if SCO wins. And maybe I’m being simple-minded about it, but if SCO could identify the copied code then shouldn’t the distros be able to do the same thing and then rewrite it. Wouldn’t that make the suite moot? Or would it? And if this isn’t an option, then what are some of the alternatives? Are any of the distros immune? What about the kernel itself? I’m sure the philosophy from which Linux was born will survive, but I find myself full of FUD and I’m just one novice user so I can only imagine what IT shops using or considering an open source solution must be going through.

Maybe I just need a hug…..I dunno.