Re: [Nolug] Beginners classes

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:13:18 -0500

Bob McKeand <bobmckeand@yahoo.com> writes:

> I sure would like to get the cdrw and dvd to work,
> scanner too. Most important is SETI.

Heh... Good to have your priorities.

CDRW shouldn't be too hard. I've played DVDs, so I know we can do
that. Providing the scanner is supported under Linux, I'm sure we
could hack it.

SETI should be a gimme (says the guy who hasn't done it...)

If you were willing to meet me on this side of the lake one Saturday,
I'm sure I could get it going.

Would there be any other interest in this sort of thing? I'm willing
to help one person out, but helping more than one at a time is even
better.

Eventually, I'll have you using Emacs as your OS instead of Linux.

(-:

> I have RH8 on a dual boot and use Knoppix at work
> (live CD).

I just started playing with Knoppix this week. /Very/ nice. I'm
using it at the moment to do my reply. It worked out-of-the-box with
my XFS partition. It split my WinXP NTFS drive -- with a GUI!

> I am not giving up, just looking for a shorter path.

Like I said: if I can help you, even one-on-one, I'm willing, but if
more people are interested, I could probably do that, too.

I've got my doubts that there is enough interest to support whole
classes, but, hey, I've been surprised before.

Mark.

--
As long as you have mystery you have health; when you destroy mystery
you create morbidity.			     -- G.K. Chesterson