Re: [Nolug] Spam and Virus Protection

From: Tim Kelley <tpk_at_23rdward.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 06:44:40 -0500

On Thursday 10 July 2003 1:19 am, Brad N Bendily wrote:
> > > Curious: What advantages do you see with Novell's directory
> > > server over, say, OpenLDAP?
> >
> > Well, NDS is a very nice product, unfortunately it isn't supported
> > much by applications.
>
> Why do you need this when it supports the LDAP standards?

It didn't the last time I tried it (well at least not very well), I
assume things have improved significantly ... like I said I think
eDirectory is a very admirable product, there really isn't anything
else like it.

> Sure this stuff doesn't work out of the box, but neither does
> Peoplesoft and their software cost a hell of a lot more money.

It isn't that it didn't work out of the box, it was that it (Netware in
this case) was such a pain to work with, in the manner that only
proprietary software is. You keep running into dead ends, and finding
out you need to buy more of this or that; at some point it just becomes
ridiculous.

> Granted NetWare 5.0 is not Novell's best product. I"m not sure why
> they quickly came out with the NetWare 5.1 product, but I've seen
> extremely solid performance out of the NetWare 5.1 line.

Never went to 5.1, no one could justify the cost after just moving to
5.0.

> Things just work.

Well that's nice to hear. It sounds like you all have a very sweet
setup out there!

--
Tim Kelley
tpk at 23rdward dot org