Re: Re: [Nolug] Evo and Outlook

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 18:11:52 -0500

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 14:43, rbstrickland@cox.net wrote:
> > Thanks. I wonder how many of these vulnerabilities would be elim-
> > inated if most programmers stopped using C, and went to pointerless
> > languages (everything from Python, BASIC, Java and Lisp/workalikes,
> > all the way to COBOL, Ada and FORTRAN) for most work.
>
> I understand the point you're making, but COBOL does have pointers,

Yes, COBOL-99 does, but no one really uses it. COBOL-85 is *the*
3GL business language.

> and as I recall Ada's got them (but they're not so evil in Ada)

Because it has to have everything, like PL/1.

> and Java's got a functional equivalent (but it's been a really

Really? Are you sure? Since it runs in a VM, how can it?

> long time since I last used either Ada or Java.)
>
> Of course the world would be a much better place if everyone coded in
> Lisp or Ada.

Lots of Insipid Stupid Parentheses. At least it doesn't have
pointers.

If you like Ada, you might like Python.

> And BAH, who uses FORTRAN anymore???

People who do matrix manipulation, or are over 50.