Re: [Nolug] Evo and Outlook

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 12 Jul 2003 02:07:30 -0500

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 23:26, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> >> Ok, maybe Perl, too.
> >
> > Gak! Line noise does not add to the clarity of source code...
>
> Not to start a language war (its already started...), but do you have
> actual experience with regular expressions? Or were you talking
> about something else here? One liners, perhaps?

I'm slightly above newbie regarding REs, and, IMHO, they *are*
line noise. Powerful line noise.

Maybe I've been doing DP too long.

> Or, are you just repeating something you've heard?

I've tried learning Perl, but the pain threshold is so much lower
for Python. Writing something to, for example, go thru a directory
converting all spaces in filenames is much shorter in Perl than
in Python, but a Python newbie who knows how to program (but has
not joined The Unix Cult) would understand the code, whereas s/he
would be baffled by the Perl code.

All htis is, of course, MHO, and while I have obvious language
preferences, am not a bigot, and don't want to start a war, just
a lively discussion.