Re: [Nolug] More Email Questions

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:35:28 -0500

At 03:42 PM 7/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I am setting up an email server. What is the best security settings for
>setting up users who will be getting their email via pop. I guess that
>I will have to use adduser to add the users to the system. (Or is there
>some method for adding email users to the system -with a mailbox-
>without adding them as system users?) But, can they be set with NO
>shell and No home directory? Is that a good idea for security?

Typically, when you setup a mail server that supports virtual domains the
mail software will not require that you setup a system user for each mail
account. Good examples of this are qmail with the qmail-ldap patch and
Postfix. I am not sure about sendmail though as I tend to move to something
else whenever I am given a sendmail server. I personally prefer not having
a bunch of local users that don't actually need a system account.

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology, LLC <http://www.puryear-it.com>
Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.