RE: [Nolug] running a mail server with a Cox account

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:27:01 -0500

Hi Scott.

I'm glad to hear that they reject mail from IP's with no reverse DNS. That
will encourage those systems to clean up their act! Hopefully one day
enough will that I can enable that same restriction here. It does help to
block some spammers.

I have many ADSL users with static IP's who run their own mail servers. In
all but one case, the reverse DNS resolves to my domain, not theirs. None
of them have any problem sending email to AOL users.

Perhaps AOL just has something against your mail. ;-)

John

* AOL's mail servers may reject connections from IP addresses which
  have no reverse-DNS (PTR record assigned).

This is the key. Note the interesting wording. In my continued
experience with AOL, the domain part of your forward and reverse
lookup on your mail server must match in order for the mail to be
delivered. They don't say this in the written policy, but this is
what they have been doing for a few years now.