Re: [Nolug] running a mail server with a Cox account

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:43:54 -0500

"John Souvestre" <johns@sstar.com> writes:

> Hi Scott.
>
> But mine doesn't match! You are saying that AOL only does a partial match?
> Hmmm... OK, that would indeed allow mine to work but I don't see the
> advantage to that method vs simply requite that there be some (any) revere
> lookup name.

Here's what they say publically (from
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/standards.html)

* AOL's mail servers will not accept connections from systems that use
  dynamically assigned IP addresses.

I'm assuming they use things like a DUL list to blackhole these.
So few providers even submit addresses to these anymore that they're
about useless.

* AOL will not deliver e-mail that contains a numeric Universal
  Resource Locator (URL). (Ex: http://0.0.0.0)

ie. you got to have a forward lookup and this implies...

* AOL's mail servers may reject connections from IP addresses which
  have no reverse-DNS (PTR record assigned).

This is the key. Note the interesting wording. In my continued
experience with AOL, the domain part of your forward and reverse
lookup on your mail server must match in order for the mail to be
delivered. They don't say this in the written policy, but this is
what they have been doing for a few years now.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."