RE: [Nolug] DNS question

From: J. Kent Busbee, Jr. <buz_at_penwel.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:34:18 -0500

> "J. Kent Busbee, Jr." <buz@penwel.com> writes:
>
> > When I:
> > ping ANYTHING
> > on my FreeBSD box, I get...
> > ANYTHING.MYDOMAIN.com (EXTERNAL.IP.ADD.RESS): 56 data bytes And it
> > pings my external IP address.
>
> You probably have a * in your DNS records. Either take the
> "domain" line out of /etc/resolv.conf, or specifically
> associate an IP with each name and remove your reliance on * records.
>
> --
> As long as you have mystery you have health; when you destroy mystery
> you create morbidity. -- G.K. Chesterson

I am not running named, getting DNS from my ISP. I can't figure where
the * records could be. Here is a sample of my hosts file:

::1 localhost.MYDOMAIN.com localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost.MYDOMAIN.com localhost
EXTERNAL.IP.ADD.RESS web.MYDOMAIN.com web
EXTERNAL.IP.ADD.RESS web.MYDOMAIN.com.
10.10.10.254 web.MYDOMAIN.com web
10.10.10.254 web.MYDOMAIN.com.

10.10.10.10 ANOTHERSERVER.MYDOMAIN.com ANOTHERSERVER
10.10.10.20 workstation1.MYDOMAIN.com
10.10.10.30 workstation2.MYDOMAIN.com

I am not sure what the first ::1 is, just got it from the default I
think. Also, I have things listed twice... Not sure why I did that.
May have something to do with some specific with a . After them... Could
this be part of the prob?