[Nolug] Clubhouse Idea

From: Chris Reames <chris_at_drugfreemro.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:59:14 -0500

Guys,
Here are my thoughts on this subject.

1) We need a place to meet with open accessibility.
2) We need a secure place to store equipment and a working network.
3) We need the ability to connect to the internet for Legitimate Linux
exposure.
4) We need a hand axe to persuade people with sticky fingers to wash up
before the meetings.
5) We need more meetings.
5) We need more meetings.
5) We need more meetings.
5) We need more meetings.
6) I want to setup (for reference) the following.
        a) Web server - We could rent web space in lue of dues.
        b) DNS server - So we can host multiple domains.
        c) E-mail server - Obviously with anti-spam and anti-virus controls.
        d) Firewall - Not one of these awful preconfigured jobs, real live file
configurations.
        e) Multi-Kernel environments - Parallel machines running major kernel
architectures.
        f) Reboot and Reconfigure boxes for X-windows education (KDE, Gnome,
Sawfish etc)

Basically, I want to have a shop where we can duplicate the weird and
wonderful things our members are doing in the real world.

I finally joined the newsletter recently, and most if not all of the
questions were very interesting.
In fact, I would be interested in a meeting on any of these topics.
However, as in the past it wouldn't mean much without something to play
with.
Sure, the guy with the box has a great time and goes home with a better
understanding of __________.
For the rest of us intresting but not very useful without a practical
application.

Ok, now that I have you either drooling or clutching your chest (take your
nitro if you got some).
We will probably need to organize some fund raisers for equipment.

If we can get in good with a college (UNO preferably because of their
support in the past) we may pursuade them to donate hand me down PCs. I
worked at Delgado for a while, so PC repair or network rewiring assistance
may be accepted as trade goods. I know registration setups and tear downs
were exceptionally fun.

Well, that all the ranting time I have at the moment.
Thanks for your time.
Chris