Re: [Nolug] Clubhouse Idea

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:24:46 -0500

"Chris Reames" <chris@drugfreemro.com> writes:

> Guys,
> Here are my thoughts on this subject.
>
> 1) We need a place to meet with open accessibility.

Define "open accessibility"

> 2) We need a secure place to store equipment and a working network.
> 3) We need the ability to connect to the internet for Legitimate Linux
> exposure.

hmmm

> 4) We need a hand axe to persuade people with sticky fingers to wash up
> before the meetings.
> 5) We need more meetings.
> 5) We need more meetings.
> 5) We need more meetings.
> 5) We need more meetings.
> 6) I want to setup (for reference) the following.
> a) Web server - We could rent web space in lue of dues.
> b) DNS server - So we can host multiple domains.
> c) E-mail server - Obviously with anti-spam and anti-virus controls.
> d) Firewall - Not one of these awful preconfigured jobs, real live file
> configurations.
> e) Multi-Kernel environments - Parallel machines running major kernel
> architectures.
> f) Reboot and Reconfigure boxes for X-windows education (KDE, Gnome,
> Sawfish etc)

This is expensive. co-lo hosting is generally expensive. I'm almost positive
my company would be willing to let me do this though. As they let me use
one of our servers to host www.nolug.org in the first place ;) If we
provided our own hardware/etc. it could work.

There's one problem: they're in slidell. it's, therefore, not very
accessible.

Of course I have all of those things setup in my own house. It's how
I learned in the first place.

> Ok, now that I have you either drooling or clutching your chest (take your
> nitro if you got some).
> We will probably need to organize some fund raisers for equipment.

I've got a house full of old cra^H^H^Hcomputers I could donate.
really old stuff, though. but prefectly usable as web/mail/etc servers
and routers.

> If we can get in good with a college (UNO preferably because of their
> support in the past) we may pursuade them to donate hand me down PCs. I
> worked at Delgado for a while, so PC repair or network rewiring assistance
> may be accepted as trade goods. I know registration setups and tear downs
> were exceptionally fun.

I think exploring the UNO possiblities are worth some effort here.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."