RE: [Nolug] plenum cat5 cable

From: Chris Reames <chris_at_drugfreemro.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:32:27 -0500

Plenum does exist, does burn (reduced flammability), does give off reduced
harmful chemicals (when burned), casing is more ridged and tends to break
when bent greater than 40 degrees in hotter areas.

There is a double insulated underground cable with a plenum outer jacket and
a gel inner insulator. This comes in a shielded and unshielded variety.
Very expensive. Approximately twice plenum costs. If this is for a
critical application, fiber is the way to go.
Try Anixter, there is a location on airline between Airport and 310 in James
'something' Business Park.
Their prices are a little high on some things, but they certify their cable.

remember: The best laid plans of mice and men will not keep your cable from
corroding when you live below sea level.

Also, conduit of some kind would be a good idea.
Will give cable some protection from digging, squirrels, roots, moisture
(some seepage is unavoidable) etc.
Will also save time and money if the line needs to be replaced.
May allow additional lines to be run later (extra phone lines, network,
etc.) depending on conduit diameter.

If you need any help with installation, I'm available after business hours.
Thank you for your time.
Chris Reames
(504) 427-5680 Cell