Re: [Nolug] Re:

From: Brad N Bendily <brad_at_selu.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:55:46 -0500 (CDT)

> > > What makes working for Civil Service suddenly imbue you with brains,
> > > ethics and kindness? Haven't you ever gone down to City Hall?
> >
> > This isn't a Civil Service job.
>
> So you can be fired for any arbitrary reason?

In a way, technically i guess Yes, but there is still laws to protect
workers in general so I can't be fired because my boss doesn't like
the way my breath smells. But if he instead says, the guy showed up
late twice this week, i have to let him go, then I think that is
within his rights. But not likely to happen. It would have to be
a BIG thing to fire someone.

> > It's a salaried position. Technically your contract has to get
> > reapproved every year,
>
> > but I've never heard of ANYONE who didn't
> > get their contract renewed (idiot or not).
>
> That's the point. In private industry, idiots get fired eventually
> (unless they are clever enough to move into management).

On the other hand. I said i never heard of ANYONE, BUT I was wrong.
Now I do remember someone, who was an Idiot as far as technical
stuff goes, who was "asked to leave". Which is not necessarily
the same thing as getting fired. The guy got the job because he
read an Oracle book and shot out some buzz words. I wasn't in the
interview process so I didn't have much say over the matter.
After some period of time everyone realized, even he, that he
had no clue and would never have a clue. He was getting a nice
ride out of it, but the department was suffereing.
He was eventually told to leave.

I've also heard of other people, usually higher ups, who had
their jobs squeezed out from under them and they eventually
they were cut out altogether. These are political matters
though and don't usually affect the commoners, like me.

BB