Re: Networked refrigerators (was Re: [Nolug] Vint Cerf talk (my notes from his talk at LSU))

From: Brad N Bendily <brad_at_selu.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:12:11 -0500 (CDT)

> Actually, I don't ever think that Tivo has a remote-over-network
> control feature.

I have seen a box that had this feature. It wasn't a Tivo brand name,
but some console divx player...
Here is the site, i just found it, didn't remember the name:

http://www.kiss-technology.com/templates/sidelevel1pid411.html

They have several more boxes than when I last saw their product line.
When I looked they only had 2 boxes and they were very expensive.

Now, the one console unit that plays 10 different video formats is
$150. That's not bad, cheaper than buying an XBox and hacking it up.

However, i'm not sure if you can buy these here in the US.

Being able to connect to your appliances doesn't sound like a bad
thing to me. What if your fridge had a camera in it and you
could actually look inside to see if you had milk or butter?

In fact, there is a fridge that has internet access on it.
(I don't remember the brand, but I saw it when I was shopping.)
It stores some info about the materials inside, but the front panel
is basically a laptop mounted to the front. Not very practical,
it would be cheaper to buy a laptop and a fridge than buy the
all-in-one unit.

I think it would be great if my whole house was wired such that I
can turn off/on all my lights, a/c, tvs, radios, any thing
that is electronic i want to be able to turn on/off remotely.

That would be awesome!

BB