Re: Networked refrigerators (was Re: [Nolug] Vint Cerf talk (my notes from his talk at LSU))

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:26:11 -0500

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 09:39, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> At 04:05 AM 10/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 18:52, Joey Kelly wrote:
> > > I took notes during Vint Cerf's talk on "Internet Past and Future" this
> > > afternoon. They aren't complete, but I think I got most of the high points.
> > >
> > > ttp://joeykelly.net/cgi-bin/scratchpad/index.cgi?VintonCerf
> >
> >"net fridges: emailing you that you need to buy milk, etc."
> >
> >Why do people keep bringing this up? How can the 'fridge know if
> >the milk carton is almost empty? Any technology put in the box to
> >try to make such estimations will just drive up the cost.
> >
> >Such things are *useless*.
>
> I think you are applying current technology concepts to future possible
> technology. How do you know the refrigerator won't know how many eggs are
> left? Keep your mind open to any possibilities that are, well, possible.
> Otherwise you may be the guy that misses out on investing in "I,
> Refrigerator, Inc." when you have the chance. :)

How would it look inside the egg carton to count the eggs?

Some plastic milk jugs are translucent, some are opaque. And then
there are the thick paper milk cartons.

Brad mentioned cameras inside the 'fridge. *That* is a good idea!
It would need ~6 in the 'fridge (to get total coverage) and ~2 in
the freezer. Still, there would be the "underneath" and "inside"
problems. However, it would be a darn site better than nothing.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
"Why should we not accept all in favor of woman suffrage to our
platform and association even though they be rabid pro-slavery
Democrats."
Susan B. Anthony, _History_of_Woman_Suffrage_
http://www.ifeminists.com/introduction/essays/introduction.html