Re: Re: Networked refrigerators (was Re: [Nolug] Vint Cerf talk (my notes from his talk at LSU))

From: jacklinux_at_cox.net
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:46:55 -0400

Consider this:

You’re at work and thinking about dinner for tonight and you decide on a menu.

Chili dogs, French fries and you want to bake some brownies like your college roommate used to
make.

Wouldn’t it be useful to be able to query the kitchen and see if you have all the ingredients?

Now we’re talking about the refrigerator for cheese, the cupboards for bread, potatoes, etc. Now, you
may have hotdogs in either the refrigerator or the freezer so there’s your if/then statement. What if
you have bake and serve brownies and all the ingredients to make brownies from scratch?

Since you have to stop at the store on the way home to pick up, say, hotdog buns, why not query
the bathroom and see if you’re low on toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Hell, why not just go ahead and
use your query results to generate an email to the grocer? With your account number on file, maybe
you just drive through and don’t even have to get out of your car.

I lost my keys: Query the living room, bedroom garage, car, query the laundry for keys and find some
loose change…

Back to the brownies a moment. Security. I think you all caught my little “…like your college
roommate used to make” reference so it brings up the interesting question of illegal search and
seizure. Couldn’t the police or government query your house for illegal substances?

Am I all alone here in thinking either way it would be cool???

> From: Joey Kelly <joey@joeykelly.net>
> Date: 2003/10/01 Wed AM 10:43:24 EDT
> To: nolug@joeykelly.net
> Subject: Re: Networked refrigerators (was Re: [Nolug] Vint Cerf talk (my notes from his talk at LSU))
>
> Thou spake:
> <snip>
> >
> >How would it look inside the egg carton to count the eggs?
>
> You'd scan each egg (or tell the fridge "I'm taking out two eggs, HAL"), and
> it would keep track.
> >
> <snip>
> --
>

> Joey Kelly
> < Minister of the Gospel | Computer Networking Consultant >
> http://joeykelly.dhs.org

:Jack

"Nisi terrerentur et non docerentur, improba quasi dominatio videretur."