Re: Re: Networked refrigerators (was Re: [Nolug] Vint Cerf talk (my notes from his talk at LSU))

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:05:43 -0500

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 14:46, jacklinux@cox.net wrote:
> Consider this:
>
> Youre at work and thinking about dinner for tonight and you decide on a menu.
>
> Chili dogs, French fries and you want to bake some brownies like your college roommate used to
> make.
>
> Wouldnt it be useful to be able to query the kitchen and see if you have all the ingredients?
>
> Now were talking about the refrigerator for cheese, the cupboards for bread, potatoes, etc. Now, you
> may have hotdogs in either the refrigerator or the freezer so theres your if/then statement. What if
> you have bake and serve brownies and all the ingredients to make brownies from scratch?

It's just too complicated. Look in the refrigerator of any house
with children in it. It's *packed* to the gills. Not even HAL
could "know" what's in there.

Pivotable web cams on rails (to see any shelf) is a good idea, though.

> Since you have to stop at the store on the way home to pick up, say, hotdog buns, why not query
> the bathroom and see if youre low on toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Hell, why not just go ahead and
> use your query results to generate an email to the grocer? With your account number on file, maybe
> you just drive through and dont even have to get out of your car.

Why not use the keyboard?

Even still, very few would use that feature, since home delivery
is *really* expensive, and prepackage-at-the-store is bad for
the store, because it eliminates impulse buying.

> I lost my keys: Query the living room, bedroom garage, car, query the laundry for keys and find some
> loose change

WiFi IPv6 or RFID would be very useful for finding that kind
of thing.