Re: [Nolug] IMAP and performance

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:02:19 -0600

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> Some of the directories will have 30,000+ emails in them. Will
> there be a performance problem fetching emails from the server?

Use a good filesystem like ReiserFS or XFS and that should let you
handle the emails ok (assuming that you are talking about using
maildirs).

Another thing to consider: Cyrus IMAP. Last I checked, it didn't do
virtual domains, but it can handle most anything you need and will
probably be faster than other IMAP implementations. Also, it has a
built in filter language called Sieve and built-in filter update
protocol that, it looks like, the Evolution hackers seem to be
working. Search "+site:www.mail-archive.com evolution sieve" on
Google.

Mark.

--
Peace is only better than war if peace isn't hell, too.
    -- Walker Percy, "The Second Coming"