Re: [Nolug] IMAP and performance

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:03:52 -0600

At 11:40 PM 10/27/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>I'd like to build a mail server out of a mini-ITX box with only a,
>probably, 600MHz Via C3 CPU.
>
>Some of the directories will have 30,000+ emails in them. Will
>there be a performance problem fetching emails from the server?

Are you going to be using Courier or Cyrus? I just read a good comparison
of Courier and Cyrus (among others), and Cyrus tended to stomp on Courier
quite nicely. So off-hand I would say the first step is to look strongly at
Cyrus.

The comparison was made in a paper presented at LISA on file-based vs.
database-based mail servers. Quite interesting.

>Also, will I have to learn procmail? My wife & I can quickly make
>filters in Evolution (Tools->'Create Filter From Message' makes it
>a snap), but having her log into a mail server to add procmail rules
>is just not going to work. (I'm not looking forward to it either,
>mind you...)

Good question. I think that Eudora can filter through your IMAP folders.
Perhaps Evolution can as well? There may be a "manual" filter option that
you can use when you are in a mailbox.

---
Dustin Puryear
http://www.puryear-it.com