Re: [Nolug] postfix, Maildir and non-$HOME delivery

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 08:05:45 -0600

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

>> I don't know about putting the Maildir in var; however, unless
>> you've got several hundred users, Maildir is going to be less
>> efficient than mbox format (which would be in /var/mail/$user),
>> speed-wise.
>
> But I've got an IMAP server.

WU's IMAP server does mbox format.

Is mbox faster? I doubt it. Do you have any benchmarks or
comparisons, Joey?

For a while back in 2000 (or thereabouts) I had an mbox with 2000+
emails in it. It caused WU-IMAPd to crash. They did eventually fix
it, though.

>> That said, there's nothing stopping you from symlinking to /var/mail/.
>
> Yeah, I guess I could do that...

Or, if the box is used exclusively for email, just set the home dir
to be /var/mail/$USER/.

Or, just remount your Reiser partition as /home.

Mark.

--
Peace is only better than war if peace isn't hell, too.
    -- Walker Percy, "The Second Coming"