RE: [Nolug] Distro suggestions

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 09:51:44 -0600

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 09:35, Pietu wrote:
> Is there anything positive/negative to say about Mandrake? ( I know Ron
> likes it. )

Well, it's "works on all h/w, immediately" goal succeeds very well,
but no, I don't like it.

As with all RPM-based systems, upgrading anything "deep", like
a DE, common libraries, XFree86, etc, is fraught with danger. It's
why I dumped Mandrake and went with Debian almost 2 years ago.

So, if you want to stick w/ the s/w that came on the install disks
(except for security updates), Mandrake is great! If you want pro-
gressive upgrades, and never want to reinstall again, go for Debian
or it's fellow traveler Libranet.