Re: [Nolug] Debian installation? (topic changed from old one)

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:14:26 -0600

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 13:11, Pietu wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 09:04, Pietu wrote:
> > > I'm still trying to get debian installed.
> > >
> > > My first three to four hours was spent on not finding 3com
> > network card and
> > > something called bootstrap and unability to write to harddrive.
> > >
> > > Perhaps I succeed today and see what's there in the debian world.
> >
> > Are you installing Woody (i.e., v3.0)? Would you like me to
> > help?
>
> Thanks!
>
> I was actually trying to use the CD-installer for "sarge".

Ah. It's still broken, last I heard.

> I downloaded ISO image for "woody" this morning and got it actually
> installed.
>
> What was the quickest way to get the system actually functional with the KDE
> installed. At the moment X doesn't start at all. Perhaps it did not install
> all necessary stuff for it even though I saw the install process installing
> some KDE and Gnome components.

Presuming your cable modem is working, and fast: install a *bare*
minimal Woody, and immediately upgrade to Sarge by editing
/etc/apt/sources.list, and
  s/stable/testing/gc
Then
# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

When you install Woody, you'll have kernel 2.2.2X. After the
upgrade to Sarge, you can move to 2.4.22:
# apt-get -u install kernel-image-2.4.22-1-386

If you have a Duron/Athlon: kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7
If you have a PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV: kernel-image-2.4.22-1-686

Next, install X:
# apt-get -u install xfree86-common xserver-xfree86 xbase-clients \
       xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-scalable \
       msttcorefonts fontconfig defoma ttf-bitstream-vera \
       x-ttcidfont-conf t1lib1 psfontmgr libfreetype6 libxft2

I read this morning that KDE is broken in Sarge. Don't know
if it's working in "unstable", i.e. Sid. (You can have refer-
ences to both Sarge & Sid in your sources.list file. I run
a "mixed system" where most packages are from Sarge, but some
from Sid.)

If you *add* references to "unstable" in sources.list, then you
can install Gnome 2.4 by running:

# apt-get -u -t unstable gnome menu gnome-panel gnome-control-center \
       gnome-utils gnome-themes gnome-spell gnome-session gnome-bin \
       gnome-terminal gnome-audio gnome-applets gstreamer-player
# update-menus --stdout > /tmp/menu-stdin
# /etc/menu-methods/gnome-panel -v < /tmp/menu-stdin

Some of the listed packages may have been automatically installed
anyway, because of dependencies, but I thought to be complete.

Too bad I'd going away this weekend.

We

> If I remember correctly there was something called apt to download and
> install stuff.

Yes, apt-get is the crown jewel. Another good command is:
  $ apt-cache search
For example:
  $ apt-cache search kernel | grep 2.4.22 |sort|less

This lists all installed packages:
  $ dpkg -L
So,
  $ dpkg -L |grep gnome