Re: [Nolug] need lots of knoppix copies

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:37:32 -0500

<snip>

>I have DSL here and a bit of free time during the day, so if you compile a
>list of links that go directly to the files you want on a CD, I will
>download and burn a copy.

Thanks. We'll work on a list. Maybe one of the precompiled windows OSS CDs
will work.

>Only stipulation is that the finished CD has all
>the required files to configure a basic WEB/Email server with Firewall for
>that distro.

I'd rather leave that to the distro. Most disros have wizards for that sort
of thing.

Um, wait, are we on the same page? The compilation CD is for WINDOWS
open-source programs, sush as Mozilla, OOoo, etc. There's no use compiling a
CD of Linux apps; these are already included in most distros.

To clarify:

1). We need a boot-from-the-CD distro that runs in memory (nothing is written
to the hard drive; when they reboot, they're back in Windows-land).

2). We need various regular distros on CD that are newbie-friendly: SuSE,
Fedora (the new redhat), Mandrake, Linux From Scratch, etc.

3). We need a collection of open source apps that run on windows. If we get
them using mozilla and openoffice, they're half the way towards migrating to
Linux. We can compile a CD or use one of the pre-existing ones. See earlier
posts for links.

<snip>