[Nolug] Debian is chewing on my head

From: gonzeaux bevarde <gonzeaux_bevarde_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:40:54 -0800 (PST)

Since my confidence in Red Hat has declined with the announcement of their new

restructuring (purely my own misguided feelings I’m sure) I decided to go with Debian

Woody, of course) mostly from discussions the fine people of NOLUG have been

having about it for months now. I really have two issues that have been plaguing me

for a couple of days now and I don’t seem to be any closer to resolving them:

I can get X to start with gnome but when KDE starts it gets to the keyboard/mouse

icon on the startup splash and fails. I’m using a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse

duo. Anybody heard of this?? Got a hint as to where to look?

Secondly, I noticed there’s no /usr/src/linux directory so when I try and load the wlan

module to get the wireless card working I have no binaries to point to. I found some

resources that suggested how to add this but couldn’t quite pull it off. Is there a

question in the installation that I’m misunderstanding that’s leaving this out or placing

them somewhere else by default?

These are not big problems and I’ll get them worked out eventually. I think the road

ahead of me to get wireless connected is going to be a long one so I’m not in a big

hurry – I’m in it for the learning and I’m learning a lot so I’m winning.

Happy Holidays.

Jack