Re: [Nolug] Migrating ASP pages to Apache [Helmut, check this out]

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 14:03:14 -0600

Jame Scott <jhs_technical@cox.net> wrote ..
> On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 02:13, Petri Laihonen wrote:
> > Mischa Krilov <subs@krilov.com> wrote ..
> > >
> > > A quick Google search resulted in this link:
> > >
> > > http://www.apache-asp.org/
> > >
> > > From the intro:
> > >
> > > "Apache::ASP provides an Active Server Pages port to the Apache Web
> > > Server with Perl scripting only, and enables developing of dynamic
> web
> > > applications with session management and embedded Perl code. There
> are
> > > also many powerful extensions, including XML taglibs, XSLT rendering,
> > > and new events not originally part of the ASP API!"
> > >
> > > Now, I don't know squat about ASP (apart from the acronym), but this
> > > looks like it could be a big piece of your puzzle, no?
> > >
> > > Mischa.
> > >
> > (I've missed the original post so my comments might not be on the ball.)
> >
> > I've been using Chilisoft for running asp pages in my linux box for several
> years. However since I started learning PHP, I've converted most of my
> asp scripts to PHP.
> >
> > For ASP -> PHP beginners I recommend php2asp (GUI available) I've also
> realized that PHP <-> MSSQL scripting is much easier than ASP <->MSSQL.
> >
> > Petri
> This came from a conversation at the guerrilla meeting. Helmut has a
> number of websites on a Windoze server and we were encouraging him to
> get rid of the headache.
> One of the issues we had little knowledge was what to advise him on the
> asp pages migration. The rest we felt would be relatively painless.
> --
> James Scott

Aha....

My warmest recommendations to dump windows as a server. I've been moving a bunch of domains and sites from win to Lin within the past year. My next big project in this transition is to move our members website (http://members.mycoolmobile.com) to linux. This would involve creating all the PHP scripting to transfer user data from MSSQL to MySQL and then try to duplicate all the automated counting and daily processes involved.

However, I'm still tied to win2000 server as long as I can find somebody to create a message router for linux. (Routing using protocols such as SMPP, UCP, SEMA, HTTP, SMTP, etc.... and the ability to route messages back and forth between wireless operators SMSC/MMSC and our content platform.) So far all the commercially available solutions lack some functionality I need. Perhaps I need to learn some C++ programming for Linux.

Petri