RE: [Nolug] How to get rid of lilo?? -- other option

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:38:11 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nolug@joeykelly.net [mailto:owner-nolug@joeykelly.net] On Behalf
Of Jame Scott
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 2:49 PM
To: nolug@joeykelly.net
Subject: RE: [Nolug] How to get rid of lilo?? -- other option

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 10:05, Petri Laihonen wrote:
> In order to get the installation done today, I've decided to put in IDE
> drive for the setup.
>
> Q: What would be the easiest way of copying the OS from IDE to SCSI drive
as
> it's entirety and then boot off of this SCSI drive?
>
> Any suggestions?

Petri,
The best way is to do as the others have suggested. The solution
prescribed takes a couple of minutes at best and and always works.
What you suggest in this scenario will give you less than desirable
results. There are lots of to copy everything from one drive to another
however, this does not mean it will actually boot and run as intended
without a lot of configuration changes.
You could install to your ide drive and then mount the other drive to a
directory and copy any data you want off of it but if your interest is
in a clean install and there is no actual data that needs to be
recovered off of the SCSI drive whats the point?
YOu could do the install to the IDE drive then add a line to your boot
loader to boot the kernel on the other drive but again what is the
point?
Any dos based boot disk will have fdisk on it and the cmd fdisk/mbr will
do away with lilo.
Further I suggest using grub. There are less mistakes to make in
configuration.

--
James Scott
Computers are fun once you understand they are as dumb as a post.
Helping customers with solutions since 1992.
___________________
The biggest problem with all suggested solutions still remains. How to boot
from the floppy or CD-ROM? THAT is the reason for all my questions to begin
with.
Then, IF I could boot up from the dos floppy, I would actually have to go
and hunt for the Symbios SCSI drivers for dos and get them to run from
floppy.
At this point, I just added small 18Gb LVD SCSI drive as the main drive and
that way during the setup process, I can completely wipe out the other
drive.
Normally these kind of things are very trivial and easy (especiall after
doing it for 15 years), sometimes the harware/software just don't want to
play along.....