Re: [Nolug] camera card reader

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:57:40 -0600

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> What's the point of usbmgr? Modules get loaded automatically.

Where do you get this information from? I admit to not being
extremely knowledgeable about 2.6, but it seems to fly in the face of
reason that the kernel would automagically recognise all device-types,
classes, etc.

Try hot-plugging a new device without usbmgr, hotplug, or a similar
daemon running. And by new, I mean one that was created after your
current kernel version. If it uses a different combination from

FWIW, the incorrect USB driver is loaded by default on my laptop. I
have to manually specify the correct driver. Which leads me to
believe that this autoloading hasn't been fully debugged.

> Also, is it "2.6-safe"? After all, it uses /proc/bus/usb.

Again, I'm not familiar with 2.6 enough to know what you mean by
this. Could you give a reference?

The changelog for usbmgr contains the following note:

 - added for new modutils which is used on Kernel 2.5 and later.

So I imagine it is.

Mark.

--
Peace is only better than war if peace isn't hell, too.
    -- Walker Percy, "The Second Coming"