Re: [Nolug] camera card reader

From: Manuel Lora <vanguardist_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:13:09 -0600

For simple devices, you all seem to be trying too hard. Just autoload the
modules (all the ones you need) when the computer boots. Then you don't need
a) kernel hotplug support or b) any userland tools.

Once you plug in the usb device, you should be able to mount it.

The exceptions are non-mountable devices (cameras in PTP mode, for example),
where you use libusb and other libs to talk to the device directly. Then, you
might need hotplug but not to load the module (if it has already been loaded
upon startup) but rather to automagically assing proper permissions to the
current user.

So, in general, for mountable things, just load all the modules (or compile
them as Y), and once you plug in, they should work and be able to be mounted
normally. 2.6 adds, over 2.4, that you no longer need to rescan the bus. This
was a pain in the ass since I had to rmmod/insmod usb-storage with 2.4. Now,
in 2.6, this is gone. So, theoretically -and so far always for me- you can
unplug/plug anything any time you want and it will be recognized.

ml