Re: [Nolug] "dev/fd0 is not a valid block device"

From: John D. Tiedeman <jdtiede_at_sstar.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:11:47 -0600

-ray wrote:

>Did you swap the cable also? Could be a bad floppy controller on your
>motherboard also. Check that /dev/fd0 is in fact a block device (the b in
>brw-rw---- means block), major number 2, minor number 0:
>
>brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 0 Mar 19 2002 /dev/fd0
>
>Boot a copy of Knoppix or even an old dos disk (www.freedos.org,
>www.bootdisk.com) and see if the floppy drive works, to determine for sure
>if it's a hardware or software problem.
>
>As far as networking the computers, post a few more details and i'm sure
>you'll get a lot of help from this list.
>
>ray

I ran ls -l on /dev/fd0 and got the same message you show, except of
course for the date. I couldn't find one of the probably half dozen
spare floppy cables I should have around here so swapped cables with the
other computer. Same result; it still thinks dev/fd0 isn't a valid block
device. And it doesn't show up on the Disk Management tool, which is
what I usually use to mount my CD drive. On the other computer, the
floppy will mount from that tool.

I'm splitting the networking question into a separate thread.